Tuesday, September 7, 2010

IKEA - the next episode

Two days later, another phone call from IKEA - this back board (I could not hide the smile that crossed my face, but then the person on the phone could not see it anyway) was to be delivered on September 2, around noon.- Phantastic news! And you managed to put it into the same delivery as the other things? - Which other things? - I tried to explain. In the last week I had become an expert on filing and pulling out different receipts from different days, giving customer service not only the cashier's number, but also the receipt number, I was really proud of myself. - I will check and call you back. - My smile faded, but sure enough he called me back in order to reassure me that everything would be delivered by noon, two pieces. - Hang on, we have different things being delivered. - Well, then you have to call... and the guy hung up, obviously irritated with the complicated task. - Since I had nothing better to do I did call the other number: Hey and good afternoon, welcome to IKEA customer service. In short, what is it that you want. Either say .... I knew the keyword and said it. Pause. Then the familiar female voice: I am sorry, I did not understand you. - I repeated the word only to get the same reply. By now I felt like a victim of 'Candid Camera' and kept shouting: CUSTOMER COMPLAINT!!!! - I am sorry I seem to have difficulty understanding you (who would have guessed!), let me transfer you to the next available representative. Your average waiting time is now more than 5 minutes. -
Finally, a real person on the other end of the line. Hurrah! He again told me that I should trust IKEA, if I had been told that everything would arrive on the same day, so it would. - I gave up, but could not refrain from telling him that the automated announcer did not understand anything one says. His reply: I know, she only understands Swedish right now!

Epilogue: the following day, around noon, the door bell rang - YES, IKEA with all the missing wardrobes, a sideboard and a day bed. - By any chance, do you have a back board, too? - No, sorry - and if they called you about that only yesterday, it is highly unlikely that it will be delivered today - SCREAM! -
But then, two hours later, the door bell rang again and .... IKEA with another packet. - I am here to exchange the broken body of your wardrobe with a new one. - I spent about 10 minutes explaining to him that we were only missing ONE PART of the package, not the whole one. - No problem, let's just open the package and take the back board out. (I wonder who got the incomplete package?)
By the way, that reminds me, I have to call IKEA once more, the side board was broken and they haven't contacted me yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment